1. Introduce yourself to the class. Include a description of yourself, your goals for the future, and your plans for web design.
2. Visit an online tutorial on Expression Web. Complete several sections of the tutorial. Return to this discussion board, share the link to the tutorial and your experience. Do you recommend site to your classmates? You can find the site through an online search or use a tutorial recommended by your textbook in Appendix B.
3. Read Chapter One of the textbook. Give a brief synopsis of what you learned. Some guide questions to answer are: What data conversions can Digital Media perform? What task can Expression Design Help you accomplish? What is Expression Blend used for?
4. Obtain and install the MS Expression Suite on your computer. Our student website has a link to free software: http://student.germanna.edu/suttona If you are unable to install this software, visit the LGC or FAC ACC and locate the computers in the lab that have the software installed.
Have a great week,
Prof. Sutton
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi, mom, you shouldn't be so paranoid about this working!
ReplyDeleteHi mom's students! hope u have a good time on here...
Hello Everyone,
ReplyDeleteWelcome to Web II. I'm looking forward to a great semester. We are starting with everything new this semster. We have a new software product, new textbook, new student server, and a new website from your professor (me) to you!
I enjoyed learning and using MS Expressions and my hope is that you will too.
Over the holidays, our exceptional technical services staff member: William Both, totally rebuilt and renamed our student server. You will be pleased by the enhanced performance and the new name: student.germanna.edu (That's a lot easier to remember, right?!!)
On that server you'll find my new website with a button to your class' site. You'll want to visit the class site ASAP and notify me if your name is not listed. However, none of the links work yet, so don't let me know that! To get to my page key in: student.germanna.edu/suttona
Welcome back and best wishes for a great semester of learning,
Prof. Sutton
my names is james putty II. I like to read, play video games, and sleep. in the future i would like to have a job in the computer field.my plan is to become very skilled in this field also.
ReplyDeleteIm Andrew, and according to Prof. Sutton I'm a hippy.
ReplyDeleteI like to play the guitar and just chill out and be peaceable and whatnot. I plan to work in the IT field and hopefully I will be utilizing the knowledge I have learned from Web Design and Javascript.
ReplyDelete-Daryl Hall
Daniel is the name A LOT of people call me... so... yea...
ReplyDeleteI like computers... I guess...
I hope to PASS this class... oh, and learn stuff...
-Daniel Fisher
Hi My name is Natasha Hubbard, I am in my second year or so of Germanna's IT Program. I have only 3-4 Majors left to take. Then I am done! I am looking forward to work on a real life website. I collect coins, and like to work with beading for jewelery. I have 4 cats, a dog, an amazonian parrot, and one more cat that lives outside. I think sometimes I'm living in their house, Not them living in mine! :P
ReplyDeleteMy name is Becca...I should be done with my Associate's degree in IT at the end of this year. My goals for the future are to find a career in something with computers, whether it's web design or database stuff. It all interests me. I look forward to learning more in this class! =)
ReplyDeleteI tried the web expression that was done for homework and they were pretty good.instead of doing one i tried both. their name were lynda.com and learn expression.com. they were both great. but i liked lynda.com better because show you in quick few seconds on how to use the application. however, learn expression was good because eventhough it takes longer for the tutorial to go through, it shows everything in more depth. still, recommend lynda.com because its a fast tutorial and easy to learn.
ReplyDeletejputty6508,
ReplyDeleteThank-you for recommending lynda.com and expression.com. Has anyone else tried any of the tutorials yet? What is your recommendation?
I tried a tutorial site listed in the book: www.lynda.com. This site was very easy to use and has a bunch of free videos to watch. It seems very helpful because you can watch it step by step. I would recommend this site to classmates.
ReplyDeleteChapter one summarizes what Expression Studio as a whole is. It explains the competition between Adobe’s Flash and Microsoft’s Silverlight. It compares Expression Web to it presecessor, FrontPage. Chapter one briefly talks about the different parts of Expression Studio (Web, Design, Blend, Media, and Media Encoder). It gives some examples of what you can do with Expression Studio.
ReplyDeleteWhat data conversions can Digital Media perform?
Windows Media file to TIFF and RAW to JPEG/AVI
What task can Expression Design Help you accomplish?
Expression Design can help accomplish editing of raster and vector graphics
What is Expression Blend used for?
Expression Blend is used to blend graphics, scripts, and layout in order to create active user experiences
Hello everyone,
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to let you know that if you need help this semester that I am in the tutoring center in FAC 1 Room 208 and am able to help anyone who needs help on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Happy coding everyone!
--caleb
My name is Michael Glitzos. I am constantly looking for information to satisfy my hunger for knowledge. Like one of my fellow students stated above, I to roll out of bed and into a computer chair. My goal is to score a job working as either an independent contractor or as a government employee in the IT field. Two reasons: 1. It pays well. 2. I have an interest in computers. When I'm not at school I'm out around town, at home gaming, or at work =(
ReplyDeleteI have taken Web design 1 (although I had knowledge in the HTML language prior to that course). I've also experimented with both Expression Studio 1 and 2 since finding out about the DreamSpark program in spring of 2008.
The Expression suite feels like Microsoft FrontPage (which was discontinued for Office 2007/2008 (for mac users), making Office 2003 the latest FrontPage version), however Expression enables the user to make multimedia for the web page with Expression Media, create images through Expression Design (works like Adobe Illustrator, still like PhotoShop better), Expression Blend allows the user to create interfaces in Flash, Shockwave, and Siverlight, Expression Encoder allows the user to encode media files into web formats like flash .swf, and Expression Web is a HTML editor that allows you direct FTP access through the suite, folder management for your website, and the ability to preview your pages in a browser (such as MS IE, FireFox, and Safari).
Hey, all!
ReplyDeleteMy name is Jason. I like using computers, and while my main interests involve gaming, I feel that I need to know more than just how to actually play the game. For example, how to fix a bug or crash. Or how to modify game contents such as areas or items or characters. I hope this class, though it is Web Page Design, will help get me started.
chapter one talks about the expression studio software and what it can do. The chapter gives a brief concept and description of expression Studios history. There are also different designer applications mentioned about adobe’s line of software like Photoshop, fireworks, illustrator, Photoshop elements, and flash. According to chapter 1, Microsoft expression is the better choice compared to adobe because it has more options when it comes to features. It also talks about the difference between Microsoft expression web and FrontPage. They are both in competition with each other and have many differences. For example, FrontPage uses internet explorer’s trident layout engine while expression web uses its own layout engine. Expression web’s ability to use it’s own layout engine makes it able to use CSS and ASP.NET layouts with high accuracy. It also makes a cleaner web code. Finally, the chapter gives examples of what can be done with expression studio.
ReplyDeleteWhat task can expression design help you accomplish? It can help prepare web graphics using both raster and vector images, but by using primarily vector graphics.
What is expression blend used for? Expression blend is used to mix graphics, scripts, and layouts to make interactive user experiences.
What data conversions can digital media perform? Windows media file to TIFF and RAW to JPEG/AVI
I like doing Web1 and to see all the tags that maked the web page look good
ReplyDeleteMrs sutton,
ReplyDeletei have already downloaded ms expression studio2. i had trouble downloading it here at home so i went to school and had a tutor help me download it. i manage to get the full version for free. so that was awesome! the software looks and works perfectly so i didn't have any problems using it. i hope it helps me do what i need to do.
Hello, my name is Rebecca Wright. This is my first year as a full time college student at GCC. I am planning to transfer to a four year college where I plan to pursue in Computer Science and my ASL Interpreter’s license. I enjoyed programming webpages in my last class, and am looking forward to doing more. I intend to use this class to gain programming experience, which may help me in future programming classes. I am currently working as a lifeguard and a WSI instructor. Hobbies that I enjoy are singing, playing the piano, and crocheting.
ReplyDeleteThe tutorial that I visited was about GridSplitters for Expression Blend. You can find the tutorial at http://expression.microsoft.com/en-us/cc196385.aspx . I believe that if I had the software downloaded, then the tutorial would have been more useful; however, it explained how to use GridSplitters very well. I think that this is a good tutorial to view, simply because it takes you through each step for using GridSpiltters.
ReplyDeleteI consulted the appendix in the text book, and I decided to try this link: http://blogs.msdn.com/expression/articles/543834.aspx
ReplyDeleteI would recommend it at some point, but maybe not yet. Most of the tutorials are more advanced that what we will probably be working on this early, but what I did find interesting is that it is set up like a blog. There are steps to follow, and at the bottom, users can comment and share their problems and get help from other users and the developers.
In essence, Chapter 1 teaches you what Expressions is all about. I really did not know what exactly Expressions was until recently, as I was familiar with FrontPage and recognized it as the only Web page designing software that MS had released.
ReplyDeleteExpression Blend is used to put together images, Web designs, audio, and video, to create a professional-quality presentation.
Digital Media can take a TIFF and turn it into a more common JPEG image file, and RAW video formats to AVI.
Expression Design works with the two primary types of computer graphics: raster and vector.
I watched from the microsoft expressions site about the entire program as a whole and about microsoft web. I was facinated and it makes me want to dig in more and more to learn about the program! I would recommend http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/Overview.aspx?key=studio
ReplyDeleteIf you want to learn about the program as a whole and have limited bandwidth. (200mb per day gotta love satellite :) )
I can't wait to get started!
By reading the first chapter I was able to review hotspot and css as well as learn what jpeg stood for. But more in deapth we learn about what we are in for in the rest of the class: A lot of fun! We will learn about Assembling, Mangaging and Design (my personal favorite) of web pages. I can't wait to create my own Images with Design Program. Putting them all together should be easy with blend! Can't wait to go deeper!
ReplyDelete1. My name is Dan Keeler. I am taking this class because I need it to graduate. My goal for the future is to get a degree so I can make BANK.
ReplyDelete2. http://www.microsoft.com/expression/ I absolutely recommend the site to my friends. Everyone should get familiar with Expression! The possibilities are endless!
3.
A) You can change BMP pictures to JPG and so forth. The limits are endless. With digital media, you can make videos out of a plethora of pictures. You can convert TIFF files, which is the standard file type for some digital cameras, to AVI, which is the standard file type for publishing movies.
B) Expression Studio is an integrated package containing five integrated applications that help you with pretty much everything. There is no limit on what you can do with Expression Studio, but for an example, you could use it as a web page editor.
C) Expression Blend is a visual user interface creation tool.
4. Downloaded! (Thanks Mike)
My name is John. I have been working in IT for about 10 years now, and I am taking this class because it was open, and is distance learning. Getting a degree in IT will help me with my current career. I have not acquired a book, as of yet, because the book store is only open when I am at work and my online purchase has not arrived.
ReplyDeleteHello Everyone my name is Nicholas Coe. I enjoy computers playing/watching football. I am taking this class as one of my final classes to finishing my Degree here at Germanna. I will have finished with a network security concentration and hope to obtain a career within that field somewhere (don't know where to look). I have not obtained the textbook because the book store was sold out on Thursday and they said if they didn't have one on Friday they would have them on Tuesday (school closed Monday). So I will get back to you on the Tutorial and book questions ASAP! Talk to you all later.
ReplyDeleteI would like to add that i Just finished downloading the software Suite. Along with this I completed a Tutorial at www.learnexpression.com. I would recommend the class to this site for a tutorial.
ReplyDeleteMy name is James Baker. I just finished the engineering certificate at germanna and I decided to take this class after taking Web design one. I like to play the guitar and video games.
ReplyDeleteChapter one explains what Expression Studio is used for and what it is. It compares Expression Web to FrontPage, the program used before it. It also discusses the differences between Flash and Silverlight. The first chapter also summarizes the different parts of Expression Studio.
ReplyDelete1)What task can Expression Design Help you accomplish?
It can accomplish editing of raster and vector graphics.
2)What data conversions can Digital Media perform?
Windows Media file to TIFF and RAW to JPEG and AVI
3)What is Expression Blend used for?
Blends graphics, scripts, and layout to create active user experiences
I would also recommend lynda.com. There are many videos and the tutorials are easy to use and follow.
ReplyDeleteJason
Microsoft Expression Studio is a conglomeration of programs that allows web page designers to create a webpage with multiple programs that interact with each other. The programs that comprise Microsoft Expression are Expression Web, Expression Design, Expression Blend, Expression Media and Expression Media Encoder. Expression Web is designed to display Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) and ASP.NET layouts very accurately. Expression Design is used to create two different types of images, and to give images a professional look. Expression Blend is used to combine images with text in different layouts, creating an interactive webpage for its viewers. Expression Media and Expression Media Encoder are specifically used to format and store pictures (JPEG and GIF), audio recordings, and video clips in a manner that makes them readily accessible and easy to upload. With these programs that can communicate with each other, Microsoft Expression Studio makes creating and viewing web pages easier.
ReplyDeleteMy name is Barbara House. I have over 25+ years in the computer field (main frame to PC) with the last 10 working out of my home on a very part time basis. I have hardware, software, and networking experience but my web design experience is very little and I would like to add this to my list of skills.
ReplyDeleteThe tutorial I liked is Microsoft's own www.microsoft.com/expression/kc/default.aspx because there were numerous methods to learn by and I could select a specific topic. I didn't like the idea of having to pay for most of what was on www.lynda.com (reminds me of the free to try software that is very limited). I will, however, take another look at www.lynda.com due to the recommendations above and since the videos on the Microsoft site are rather long.
Whats up everyone? Wes, here and I enjoy many facets of life including the outdoors, music, photography and computers. I am working on my second degree, (the first one being a BS in Geology from Radford University). After working for a few years in the environmental consulting game I decided to switch career paths and go back to school. I'm in my second year at germanna with my goals of obtaining a job in the IT field in network administration or Web design, while continuing my education by transferring to a 4-year school. I'm very excited to take this class and look forward to this semester!
ReplyDeletehi, everybody! how are yall doing? does anyone know what work we are supposed to do this week?i have no clue! i can't get into student server so i'am having finding out. if one of yall can help me out i would appreciate it!
ReplyDeleteSee Blog For week 2.
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteAfter reading the chapter,I learn that the Digital Media will let me see and design my videos and pictures the way that I want them,Expression Blend lets me to blen all of my work together,amd Expression Design lets me design it all the way that I want to ,whem I"m finish I will have the web page that I want fully professional.
The MS Expressions suite seems to be a pretty easy to use, robust, web design tool. I am anxious to get working on projects, especially after viewing some of the demos and tutorials...
ReplyDeleteI would like to pass this class like Dan and I'll be done this semester and I know this is late but its better to be late than never :)
ReplyDeletethe tutorial
ReplyDeletehttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/aa740378.aspx
questions
Use the style sheets Expression Web creates for you as you design your web page
Create and manage style sheets for your page
Create and use external style sheets to ensure a consistent look across your entire web site